Strangways Springs Lone Graves
Mary Hewish, nee Carn, was born at Sliding Rock on 1 April 1863. Her daughter Elsie Coultash was also born there in 1895 and Christened by the Rev. Robert Mitchel at the Smith of Dunesk. Mary eventually married Alfred Hewish in 1888. His brother, Andrew had joined the Telegraph Department on 17 August 1873. He served the department in many different places.
On 7 March 1885 Andrew Hewish, who was by that time a JP left Farina to take charge of the Strangways Springs telegraph station. This had recently been completed as one of the 12 repeater stations on the Overland Telegraph line. Although in the middle of nowhere there was already an eating house and several other buildings.
Andrew’s next appointment was at Oodnadatta where he became the station master and registrar under the marriage Act on 16 August 1893. He died 5 years later on 12 June 1898 at the age of 44. He was buried at Oodnadatta. According to his boss, Charles Todd, Andrew Hewish had been a good officer. Meanwhile Albert stayed at Strangways Springs but later moved to Beltana.