St Mary's Anglican Cemetery
This church was dedicated by the Colonial Chaplain Rev C.B. Howard on Sunday 4 July 1841. It was also used for a number of years as a school. Its first teacher was George Gordon Wise who was replaced in 1850 by Rebecca Wood.
The land on which the first stringy bark church was built, was donated by John Wickham Daw. He arrived in South Australia with his wife Ellen and six children on 23 September 1838. He later also donated the land for the present church which was built about two hundred metres south of the old site. The foundation stone of the present church was laid by Fanny Nicholls on 27 October 1846.
John Horrocks donated the new bell of the church. One of its early Churchwardens and lay readers was Benjamin Herschel Babbage.
St. Mary's Cemetery.
St Mary's Anglican Church established 4 January 1846.
Martin was born at South Melbourne on 20 March 1903, the son of Ernest Henry and Gertrude (nee Mollison) Martin. He attended Geelong College. His two brothers died two days apart in WW1.