Oliventhal, on section 6594, was laid out by J.C. Aberle and J.G. Lindner. In December 1857 they had bought land from George Fife Angas in the Hundred of Talunga.
After all the papers had been signed they subdivided part of it into large farming blocks for German settlers and established the town of Oliventhal, Valley of Olives.
During the First World War the name was changed by the South Australian Government to Olivedale. Today it is part of suburban Birdwood.