Navan, a subdivision of section 728 in the Hundred of Gilbert, selected by John Hallett and Joseph Stirling, was named after Navan in Ireland and its cemetery established in 1850. In 1866 the small settlement had a population of over 300 people, a post office, catholic church and school. However after better transport facilities became available the small town rapidly declined
This chapel was built in 1900 with a donation of £100 by John O'Brien. The altar in the chapel is over his grave.