From 1845 until 1862 William and James Kelly leased sections 5247 and 5248 in the Hundred of Onkaparinga, from the South Australian Company which was known as "Ettrick Farm". William Kelly married Jane Inglis and her father, James Inglis, was born in Ettrick, Scotland in 1802. James Kelly moved to the Riverton area and named it Ettrick in 1857 and it was there that their first son was born on 18 February 1864. William soon followed him in 1862. He was a JP and on 3 December 1863, at Ettrick farm, his wife had a daughter.
On 18 April 1864 a meeting was held at William Kelly's "Sunnybrae Farm" (sections 466 and 469) when he donated land for a new church. On 9 September 1864 Mrs James Kelly laid the foundation stone of the Ettric£k Presbyterian Church which held its opening service on 9 April 1865. On Sunday 22 April 1866 the Anniversary Services were held attended by a large number of people. Not all could fit inside and some fifty parishioners had to listen outside. On Monday a Tea Meeting was attended by over 400 people. Proceeds of the two days amounted to £40 which reduced the debt on the building to £140. A proposal for a school to be conducted in the chapel was made in November 1866.
On 18 March 1867the church was overflowing again, this time with family and friends when the Rev William Davidson from Clare married James Shearer and Harriet Baker of Brighton. After this happy occasion the attendance declined as no Minister could be obtained to hold services. Occasionally they were conducted by the Bible Christian minister from Riverton. To add further to the problems was that most of the original settlers had left the district in search of larger holdings.
A debt of £100 remained on the building which the congregation of three or four families were unable to meet. At a meeting held in January 1879 it was decided to sell or auction the building. The building and furnishings were sold to Mr John Kelly (no relation to Messrs Kelly) who demolished the church, the pews being given to the new congregation at Belalie East in 1881.