Chain of Ponds Cemetery
Chain of Ponds was a subdivision of part section 6121 in the Hundred of Para Wirra by the South Australian Company in 1864. The town no longer exists as it was bought by the Government to prevent pollution of the Millbrook reservoir.
In 1866 it was described as a postal village with one hotel, the Morning Star, with Donald Stewart as publican. It had a very pretty bridge on the main road and a population of about fifty people. The Morning Star Hotel was established by Oliver Philp in 1847. He had arrived in South Australia on the Lady Emma with his wife and children in 1837. He died in 1855. The hotel was then run by his son John.
That same year, Philipstown, (Philptown) was described as a small agricultural township lying about half a mile northeast of Chain of Ponds, where the nearest post office was located. It has a fine spring flowing through it all year round. Its neighbourhood was celebrated for its vineyards and fruit gardens. It had a store, one hotel, the Morning Star and a population of about hundred people in eighteen houses.
By 1888 the town had grown and had a population of more than 130 in 29 houses. Alexander Bethune was the postmaster and storekeeper while Mrs S. Gors had the hotel. John Tippett junior was employed as a gardener and with the increase in transport passing through wheelwrights James Ward and Frank and William Caust were kept busy.
Below are SOME of the headstones of this cemetery. In an attempt to save as much space as possible and increase the speed of downloading, only part of the stone is displayed. Flinders Ranges Research has a full photograph of each of these, and many others as well.