The small town of Alford, in the Hundred of Tickara, was proclaimed on 24 August 1882 and named after Henry Alford. Alford was born in Acton, Middlesex, England on 12 February 1816 and came to South Australia twenty years later on the ship John Pirie. He joined the police force but resigned in 1853 with the rank of Inspector. He became a successful businessman and died in 1892.
Below are SOME of the headstones of the Alford Cemetery. In an attempt to save as much space as possible and increase the speed of downloading, only part of the stone is displayed. Flinders Ranges Research has a full photograph of each of these, and many others as well.